World Stroke Day 29th October 2017: What’s your reason for preventing stroke?
Stroke is a leading cause of death and disability accounting for 1 in 10 deaths and a total of 44 million years of healthy life lost each year.
Stroke can happen to anyone at any time and affects everyone: survivors, family, friends, workplaces and communities.
Stroke is preventable
Over 90% of strokes are linked to 10 key risk factors. By taking steps to address the causes of stroke at individual and population level, we have the power to reduce the human, social and economic costs of stroke.
On World Stroke Day this year we will be focused on stroke prevention raising awareness of stroke risks and demonstrating the steps we can all take- as individuals, professionals or decision makers - to prevent stroke.
What you can do
- Develop your local World Stroke Day Campaign plan and put your plans on the World Stroke Campaign Map
- Download, tailor and share World Stroke Campaign resources
- Improve your own and others’ awareness of actual stroke risk by referring people in your networks or patient group to an endorsed stroke risk assessement tool. E.g. the WSO endorsed StrokeRiskometer app which is available for free and has been translated into a number of languages
- Offer blood pressure tests and pulse monitoring in your community
- Take part in a World Stroke Campaign webinar e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- Share your reasons for preventing stroke on the World Stroke Campaign Facebook page, or on twitter #worldstrokeday
To register your interest and to receive campaign information and updates direct to your inbox e-mail us at email@example.com